Administration Aquatics Arts and Culture Cemetery Facility Rental Golf
Hospitality Suite Lincoln Park Arboretum Parks Recreation Contact Us
The City of Grand Junction Parks and Recreation Department is responsible for the seasonal weed abatement program from May through October.
Violation Notices and Citations
• In addition to the removal of weeds from your parcel, all property owners are responsible for the public right-of-way between their property lines and the street or curb and the centerline of any adjacent alley. This includes between the sidewalk and street.
• All vacant properties over one acre are required to keep weeds cut within 20 feet of any adjacent developed lot, tract or parcel and within 40 feet of any adjacent roadway.
• A Notice of Violation is issued for a property where weeds have grown over six inches. Time allowed for voluntary compliance (no fine) is seven calendar days. The property is posted and a notice is mailed to the owner of record.
• If weeds remain after seven calendar days, an Administrative Citation is issued with a $150 fine. Another seven calendar days are given to comply. The property is posted and a notice is mailed to the owner of record.
• The property is inspected again on the eighth day after the Administrative Citation was given. If the weeds have been removed the $150 fine is reduced to $50. Failure to remove the weeds results in an additional $50 fine that is added to the $150 citation. The property owner will also be billed for the cost of the removal at a rate of $60.00 per hour, plus a 25 percent administrative fee.
• Weed bills are filed as special assessment tax liens if not paid. For more information please contact Judith Rice or Eddie Mort or call 970-244-1583
From November through April, Code Enforcement for weed violations is provided by Neighborhood Services. You can reach them at (970)244-1593.
1340 Gunnison Avenue ~ 970.254.3866
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday - Friday